- Chiropractic is one of the largest primary contact regulated health care professions in Canada. A Chiropractor focuses on the diagnosis and treatment for disorders of the musculoskeletal and nervous systems.
- Physiotherapists are primary health care professionals with a significant role in health promotion and restoring the quality of your movement following injury and disease.
- Massage therapy consists primarily of hands-on manipulation of the soft tissues of the body, specifically the muscles, connective tissue, tendons, ligaments and joints or the purpose of optimizing health.
- Active Release Technique (A.R.T) is a soft tissue technique concentrating on problems arising from muscles, fascia, ligaments, tendons and nerves and has been successful in the treatment of overuse injuries
- Rehabilitation exercises are a critical component of all musculoskeletal injuries. There is ample evidence supporting the use of therapeutic exercises in virtually every musculoskeletal injury to reduce pain and restore normal function.
- Prehabilitation programs are designed to enhance your physical capacity prior to surgery. By attaining a higher level of strength and functional ability prior to surgery enables a patient to rebound and recover from their procedure much quicker.
- Custom fit orthotics are used for a variety of clinical conditions spanning from the foot to the low back. A full biomechanical evaluation in conjunction with a detailed history will determine if you are a good candidate for custom fit orthotics.
- Orthopaedic braces provide support and protection to vulnerable joints and soft tissue. The Proactive Athlete most commonly recommends bracing for cases involving peripheral joints such as the ankle, knee, wrist, elbow and shoulder. To view brace selection check out www.dunbarmedical.com
This past weekend Dave and I attended a course with Eric Cressey titled “Making Movement Better”. Eric is a renowned strength and conditioning coach in the United States who provides a lot of terrific, thought provoking content through blogs, social media, newsletters and associated products (www.ericcressey.com). You may find it...
These last few months have been a whirlwind for me. The week of New Years, I found my self in Montreal, the co-host for the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships, as part of the host medical staff. On February 11th, I travelled to beautiful...
The following is a blog I had started a while ago that got lost and ultimately ignored in the black hole that is my computer. But then, a March 2015 article in the Journal of the American Medical Association brought this topic back to the forefront (1). The original...